DiscApp is a tool for facilitating writing about places. Specifically, it’s tailored to let you easily create personal and group narratives. It does this by suggesting tags to add to your posts - these tags are based on tags you’ve used in the past, the place and time you are writing about, and commonly used tags.
For example, if you’re vacationing in Iceland, and are posting daily updates of your trip to Facebook, you can use the tag
#AdnanIceland2016. DiscApp will then suggest that tag for future posts about that region. It will also suggest that tag to others, such as family members on the trip, who are creating posts about the same trip - this knits all posts about the event into a common theme.
- You can use multiple tags with a post, e.g.,
- You can choose the place and time you are writing about directly using the embedded map place picker. Alternatively, DiscApp can suggest places and times based on the images you choose.
- Disc works even in the absence of an Internet connection - if you are travelling, and don’t have access to the Internet, e.g., are in a plane, a remote place, or roaming data is very expensive, you can create and save content to your phone.
- You can add upto 16 pictures at a time to your post; the total number of pictures is unlimited.
- You can search Google images from DiscApp and add those images to your post with a long press of them.
- With one click, you can copy the content of your post to paste into any other IOS app.
- Your posts are stored at the Disc server, and you can share a link to them, e.g., via Facebook and Twitter.
- Disc allows you to view images in several ways:
- All on one pages, fit carefully to optimized screen space
- As a gallery and contact sheet that you swipe throught.
- As thumbnails overlaid on a map.
- A slider control on the map let’s you see the images sorted by timestamp.
- Disc performs clustering, i.e., if there are many images in one part of the map, it’ll show with a cluster marker, which you can zoom to, or click on to expand.
You can download the IOS app from the App Store, or use the web app, linked here.
You can use DiscApp to create content for another tool I’ve written - DiscPlaces. DiscPlaces let’s you view posts for a place, as well as search for content assoicated with a place. Read more about it (/discplaces)[here].
|Management||Create/Edit||Place Picker||Time Picker||View|